Reset Mac to Factory Settings
You can Reset your Mac device to Factory Settings if you want to get rid of an old Mac or want to sell it. It will wipe your machine and reinstall a clean version of macOS.If you are going to sell your device and want that no data falls into the wrong hands, a factory reset is the best way to prepare your old computer as a new one with no leftover data.
Here are the steps on how to wipe everything and start from scratch with a factory reset.
- Restart your device
- The easiest way is to hold down the power button until a dialog box appears and then choose the Restart option
- You can also select the Apple icon in the top left corner of the screen and choose Restart
- If your device is frozen you can also use the keyboard shortcut Control + Command + Eject(or power button) to get the job done
- Once the device turns off, hold Command + R until the Apple logo appears. Release the keys and allow the Mac to boot up. This may take some time
- Your device will boot into Recovery Mode
- Now, you will need to choose the user profile and enter the password before gaining full control
- If you want to erase everything and start from scratch, choose Disk Utility
- Click Erase at the top of the Disk utility window
- A dialog box will pop up
- Change the format to macOS Extended, and then click Erase
- Once the process is complete, Go to the disk utility menu in the upper left corner
- Now choose Quit Disk Utility
Note: You will no longer be able to recover any deleted data that was left on the drive once the process is done
- You can backup your data or required files using Time Machine Backup so that you can recover them later
- Your next step should be to reinstall macOS onto the device
- Click Reinstall macOS on the utility screen and follow the instructions to reinstall a clean version of the operating system
- If you choose to save your files through a backup, then you need to restore files through the macOS utility screen
- Click Restore from Time Machine Backup
- Then select the backup from the list to reinstall your saved files
And you’re done with the reinstalling and getting back your required data on your Mac device. Learn more about different Features, trends & techniques of Mac, visit our Mac Section.